Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Day 7 - The Shape Up

What is the one place where every man, at some point, has gone to hear stories which help shape and develop the person they ought to become? The answer is, "The Barber Shop."

For women it's the beauty salon; however, I have never been there; so sorry women,but I cannot speak for you today. The barber shop is the one place where old and new generations can come together and share stories that keep everyone up to date - the culture factory.

I still remember my first time going to the barber shop. I balled my eyes out all the way until I sat in the chair and my barber said to me, "Boy, you better shut up!"...And, I did. Through countless phases and hairstyle experiments (the afro with the line up, the designs, and the S-curl); through the break-ups and make-ups, puppy loves and engagements, the barber shop is no stranger to the depths of who we are. If you are at all like me, many of the stories and conversations that I encounter at the barber shop are what have shaped how I've responded in countless situations throughout my life.

A trip to the barber shop has more to offer than just a nice haircut to keep you looking good - especially in the black community. For, anyone who has been going to the same barber shop for their entire life might agree that once you leave the barbor shop, its like an instant renewal of the upmost swagger. Thus, you feel like you can pretty much conquer anything.

I'm saying all this because I woke up today inspired by a new idea for S. Africa. I'm assuming that there aren't very many barber shops where we are going, and if there are; they don't cut for free. God has blessed me with my own set of clippers, and the ability to cut hair; thus, He has placed it on my heart to bless as many kids as I possibly can with haircuts. And, in the process,I will be spreading the Love of Christ and might, even, get the chance to minister to a few kids.

What an awesome idea! I praise God for this opportunity. Have a blessed day you all! But I have to go!

~Tristan

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you decided to follow through with that amazing idea & to think you were going to leave ur clippers at home in California! Many Blessings to you Trist

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea. And good work at blogging consistently, even at 6 in the morning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that a lot. If I were with you I would braid hair along side of you. Love reading your blog, even your mom is inspired. Have a great flight and don't forget the bug repellent and I'll be looking for you on skype.
    God bless you.
    Love,mom

    ReplyDelete